Wednesday 12 August 2009

Mixed Feelings


Arnaud and me, mid gybe, fellow Mach 2 sailor Jonathan McKee in the background photo ThMartinez/Sea&Co http://www.thmartinez.com

About half way through now and its close at the top and good day for the Mach 2's yesterday taking out every race.

There was very little wind as we rigged up, I was out early, mindful of what the race officer said about starting on time. When we started though there was plenty of breeze and Scott and I hit a great first beat to round one and two. In those conditions I was fast although with a knee injury from day one I struggled to tack from starboard to port quick enough. I took the lead down wind and lost it again up. On the final run I saw the line from a good way out and luckily got a gust which meant I could hold a long starboard with only a small gybe to the finish.

My first race win and a good way to start the day.



Scott, Arnaud and Bora shoot it out..photo ThMartinez/Sea&Co http://www.thmartinez.com


Unfortunately it could only get worse, and it did. Two sixth's meant I'm in fourth overall at the half way stage. Other Brits; Adam May is in 14th, Andrew Friend is 21st and James Phare 35th.

Bora had a great day with an 11, 1,1 and So did Nathan with a 4,2,2. Bora seems the quickest boat, his 82kg coming into its own but tactics are important here too, Arnaud Psarofaghis also had a good day with a 3,3,3 and its going to be really interesting to see who winds up World Champion

The racing is great, only matched by the atmoshphere and the chat in the evening was about how we could take the class to the next level by changing the racing etc.

Today we are on a layday, good for me and after a near 12 hour sleep, with ice an ibruprofin cocktail I feel much better. I really was out of gas yesterday pm for some reason. This pm when the rain stops, I have some boat work to do, and if I'm up to it a little more testing to improve my upwind speed in a breeze

The AGM was effective and well run by Mark and Adam, the Dubai worlds next year seem well organised and top ten in the World get to take their place as their sail number like the 49ers and current ex World Champions get to have a gold Moth symbol on their sail. Also a strong desire to move to 15 races per series, with a view to 18 after Dubai.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love that synchronised gybe shot.